Head of Sociology: Ms Shirin Begum
Key Stage 4 (Year 10-11)
Component 1 Understanding Social Processes
- Key concepts and processes of cultural transmission
- Sociological research methods
Component 2 Understanding Social Structures
- Crime and Deviance
- Applied methods
- Social differentiation and stratification
Key Stage 5 (Year 12-13)
OCR A Level
Component 1 Socialisation, Culture and Identity
- Socialisation, culture and identity
- Families and relationships
Component 2 Researching and Understanding Social Inequality
- Social inequality
- Research methods
Component 3 Debates in contemporary society
- Globalisation and the digital social world
Independent Learning Resources
Key Stage 4
- WJEC Eduqas GCSE Sociology textbook is available in the library for students to use. This text book is recommended by the exam board.
- BBC News website the website will provide students with contemporary examples and also allow students to have an understanding of what is happening in today’s society. Students can apply evidence to exam questions.
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation website has contemporary research relating to a variety of inequalities. Students can make notes on the evidence and apply to exam questions.
- Department for Education: http://www.education.gov.uk/ here you can find relevant research, statistics, and information regarding the various changes to the education system. The data research and statistics and publications sections are particularly useful.
- Sociology Review is available in the library for students to use. Includes contemporary evidence, debates and studies.
- WJEC website; https://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/sociology/gcse Students are encouraged to use the website to print copies of past exam papers and mark schemes.