Head of Department: Ms Sophie Lording
Key Stage 4 (Year 10-11)
Eduqas Media Studies GCSE
Component 1 – 1 hour 30 minute exam, 35% of grade
Section A – Media Language (Advertising, Marketing, Newspapers or Magazines), Representation (Advertising, Marketing, Newspapers or Magazines)
Section B – Media Industries (Newspapers, Radio, Video Games or Film Industry), Audiences (Newspapers, Radio or Video Games)
Component 2 – 1 hour 30 minute exam with AV clip of Luther, 35% of grade
Section A – Television (Crime Drama – Luther and The Sweeney), Media Language OR Representation, Media Industries, Audiences OR Media Contexts
Section B Music (Music Videos and Online Media), Media Language OR Representation, Media Industries, Audiences OR Media Contexts
Component 3 – 30% of grade, non-examined assessment.
An individual magazine media production for an intended audience. Applying knowledge of media language, representation, industry and audience.
Key Stage 5 (Year 12-13)
Eduqas Media Studies A Level
Component 1: Media Products, Industries and Audiences
Section A: Analysing Media Language and Representation – in relation to two of the following media forms, advertising, marketing, music video or newspapers.
Section B: Understanding Media Industries and Audiences – assesses two of the following media forms – advertising, marketing, film, newspapers, radio, video games – and media contexts.
Component 2: Media Forms and Products in Depth
Assessing media language, representation, media industries, audiences and media contexts.
Section A – Television in the Global Age
Section B – Magazines: Mainstream and Alternative Media
Section C – Media in the Online Age
Component 3: Cross-Media Production – Non-Examined Assessment
An individual cross-media production applying knowledge and understanding of the theoretical framework and digital convergence.
Independent Learning Resources
Key Stage 4
- Seneca Learning – GCSE Media Revision – senecalearning.com
- BBC Bitesize Media Studies: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/ztnygk7
- WJEC/Eduqas GCSE Media Studies: Student Book by Illuminate Publishing [978-1- 911208-48-8] – £12.99
- Revision books have been given to students by their teachers. These are created by teachers.
- Eduqas resources: https://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/media-studies/gcse/
- Mediaknowall: http://www.mediaknowall.com/gcse/gcse.php
Key Stage 5
- Students have full access to the MediaMag online archive. Password and user in P12 and P13 and Student Handbook.
- Media Magazine https://www.englishandmedia.co.uk/media-magazine/mmag-login/